Wednesday, February 3, 2010

missionary moments

We're not doing a very good job of keeping everyone updated on Katelyn's missionary experiences. We love getting her emails every Monday and because of the time difference, they're almost always here first thing in the morning, which makes it nice. No waiting, checking and rechecking the computer for the highly anticipated update. Her letters are always upbeat and positive with plenty of humor, so that is fun for us.

She is still with Sister Lillywhite from Murray, UT and seems to enjoy her companionship. She says she hopes she gets to stay with her at least through the next transfer. They live in a cute little apartment. (emphasis on cute and emphasis on little) At one time, she said, "We have seven current investigators, What a cute little flock they are!". Most of them can't quite fit it in their schedule to make it to church, but Hermana Christensen is not discouraged by this, she considers it just a minor little detail. When one investigator pointed out to her that she was actually of another faith, Katelyn, wrote, "She's mormon, we're all mormon, she just doesn't remember and we can help her with that." Pretty idealistic and funny!!!!

She got the approval to start driving, which was exciting and scary to her, considering she hasn't driven in three months, she is in a huge city as well and she wasn't all that confident of a driver in the first place. After doing it for a couple of weeks, she said she doesn't know which is harder, being the driver or being the navigator in the passenger seat. Either way, I think this makes me more nervous than two cute, young single girls living alone in a big city. Image two, or at least one, young single small town inexperienced driver out on the roads of the city of Houston. Prayers for safety, please!!!!!

As far as the Spanish goes, Katelyn says the language is coming along. "Some days we go into lessons and the person will talk very fast for like five minutes and I will just look at them and think, I have no idea what you just said. On these occasions, Hermana Lillywhite reminds me that I am so much farther ahead than she was at the same point in her mission and that I am basically fluent, which is FALSE, but I love her for it anyway. I am not afraid of speaking though. I know I have grammar problems, but I am not letting that stop me. They are always so good to correct me and I am trying to stay humble and praying for the El don de Lenguas EVERYDAY of my mission."

Of a really "golden" contact, Katelyn said, "Isn't amazing how Heavenly Father has just prepared some people to join the church before we even contact them?" It really is and we all need to remember that. It is strange she says being the only blonde haired blue eyed person in the ward. "I am Hermana Rubia...The blonde sister" and one of our investigators wives calls me Munecita (little doll), she thinks it is so funny and cute when I speak Spanish. She also doesn't believe that I am 21.....wierd.

Of all the support she is receiving, Katelyn said, "Tell everyone I love them and thanks for the mail and prayers, I can really feel them. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father sent me my own little Kate Fan club to love and support me. You are the Best!" MUCHO AMOR

Hermanita Kate's Current Mailing address Hermana Katelyn Christensen
Green Tree Place Apts. #509
4211 Clay Hill Drive
Houston, TX 77084

No comments: